Thursday, October 15, 2009

Entry #5 - Learn & Serve


My learn and serve placement is in the Niagara Wheatfield School District at Colonial Village Elementary. I am in a self-contained special education classroom with grades ranging from kindergarten to second and I absolutely love it so far! Up to this point I have had one great placement at Henry Kalfas Magnet, and a so-so placement at Hyde Park Elementary, and even though I have only been to my present placement a couple of times so far, I can already tell it will be my favorite. The classroom has just twelve students in it, all with various disabilities and various levels of severity. The teacher, Mr. Azzarella is awesome! He has been working with students of all kinds of disabilities for about seven years now, and it is amazing just how well he knows each of his students. Along with Mr. Azzarella, there are two other teachers who spend the entire day with the students. On my first day I was shocked. I couldn't believe that all these teachers were necessary to a classroom of twelve. There were four of us in the classroom at all times, plus various other occupational therapists and speech therapists who occasionally helped the children out. I thought that's like one teacher for every three students! However, after a few visits going there, I realize just how important these teachers are! In reality the classroom probably needs more teachers. When I say this it is not because the students are bad. In fact, this is not the case at all. The students are very well behaved. Of course, there are a few that get angry and will throw a fit, but that is typical of any child this age. The reason I say that they probably could use more teachers is because the students are very dependent on the adults in the room. The kids need attention all the time, and they need assistance with almost everything they do. Some people may find this to be exhausting and I completely agree. I'm tired after just two hours with them! However, when I'm done I leave with such a rewarding feeling, and I know that I have made a difference to these students. They are so very appreciative and that is what makes me love this placement.

1 comment: