Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Entry #13 - Week 14 (December 3)


Video Case #1: Including Students with Physical Disabilities: Best Practices

1. Teacher Lisa Kelleher describes her role as a teacher in an inclusive classroom as being quite multifaceted. Are there any aspects of her role that surprised you or made you envision your future role as a teacher differently? Explain.

No there really were not any aspects of her role that surprised me. She labeled her self as an overseer of her students academic and cognitive growth and I would agree. She also said that it is her job to make sure all of the student's IEP standards are met and that is something I have seen in the inclusive learn and serve placements I have been in.

2. What skills does elementary classroom aid Danielle Doucette bring to her work with MaryAnne, the child who has spina bifida? How does Danielle take MaryAnne's academic and social/emotional development into account when planning activities?

Danielle has to be very knowledgeable of Spina bifida in order to work with MaryAnne and her knowledge is certainly shown in the video. She helped MaryAnne with sitting and using the bolster as well as standing and using the stander. Danielle knew it was important to switch up her position to stretch and strengthen her muscles. While Danielle tries to improve her health, she is also taking into consideration her social social/emotional skills. Danielle tries to make sure MaryAnne is an equal part of the class by putting her at the same level as the student. She also has noticed that since MaryAnne has had the electric wheelchair, students have felt more comfortable around her and want to come and work with MaryAnne, which in turn promotes her self-confidence.

3. What questions has this video raised in your mind about you own familiarity with adaptive technologies for children? How can you take action on Lisa's suggestion that teachers familiarize themselves with how the equipment works (e.g. an electric wheelchair) even before you have your own classroom?

I am always surprised by all the technology that has come out and been available to students with disabilities, therefore, my question would be very broad in asking, what other technologies are available to students with Spina bifida. My question also goes along with familiarizing yourself with the technologies. I believe that the best way to become knowledgeable of these adaptive technologies by experience and I specifically get this at learn and serve. I agree with Lisa's suggestion, and I think by asking questions and observing one can really understand how and why this technology is being used.

4. In the bonus video, "Encouraging Social Interactions in an Inclusive Classroom", Lisa explains how she makes sure that all students have opportunities to play together, typically through music or art. Can you think of any activities you've used successfully to engage a full range of learners? If not, what types of activities do you plan to add to your repertoire?

Activities that I have used to successfully engage a full range of learners are typically hands-on activities or creative activities. For example, when reading a book, if you have a group activity for the students to complete that engages all the various learners in your classroom. Group games seem to really interest students and ones that involve math, speech or pronunciation are very beneficial to children.

5. The classroom artifact entitled "MaryAnne's Schedule" blocks out MaryAnne's schedule for the day in words and illustrations. How could a chart like this be used more generally to help students with other types of learning challenges (such as ADHD)? Explain.

Charts and schedules work extremely well for all students, but especially those with disabilities. Children with disabilities need routine in their lives and by having a set schedule there is little room for chaos and confusion. This is specifically true for students with ADHD. By using a schedule or chart, the student understands what is expected of them and knows what they must complete next.

Video Case #2: Assistive Technology in the Inclusive Classroom: Best Practices

1. Kindergarten teacher Tony Byers describes his responsibility to teach Jamie, a girl in his classroom who has cerebral palsy, so that she can feel like an equal participant. Have you had any experience in working with children who are physically challenged? If not, how can you gain experience before you have your own classroom?

I have not had any experience with working with children who are physically challenged; however, I have worked with adults who are physically challenged in Mrs. McLaughlin's Special Olympics class last semester. It was very rewarding and I certainly learned a lot. However, being an Elementary and Special Education major 1-6, I still feel as if I need more experience in the special education classroom. I believe, like I stated before, that the best way to do this is through experience and I can get this directly through Niagara through learn and serve. I have asked the learn and serve office to place me in more self-contained classrooms to gain more knowledge of working with students with disabilities.

2. Inclusion facilitator Sara Woodruff is an advocate for assistive technologies. She explains that there are many ways to help children access their voices and their minds as best as they can. What assistive technologies, either high-tech or low-tech, have you seen or read about? How and when would you be likely to incorporate them into your teaching?

This semester we have read about all kinds of assistive technologies, everything from computers to using microphones in the classroom. I would love to incorporate any assistive technology that would be beneficial to a student in my classroom. I understand the realities of budget within school districts; however, if I believe that it will truly help a student's growth and development, then I will certainly fight for it.

3. As you watch Jamie complete an activity using a speech output device, what do you notice about the way Sara interacts with her? What can you learn from Sara's approach in general, and the way she describes her goals for Jamie?

Sarah explains the task to Jamie and then helps Jamie complete it by repeating the directions and helping her push down the buttons on her speech device. After she has chosen two colors, she is asked to choose another and Sarah covers up the past two colors, so Jamie does not get confused and is not tempted to choose those again. Although Sarah helps Jamie out, she is not doing the work for her. It is important for us to understand that students with disabilities can often do the task asked of them, they may just need more assistance.

4. According to Tony, having Jamie use assistive technology "helps show the other children that there's a wide range of communication capabilities in our population as a whole. Children are shown an alternative way of communicating that is different rather than better or worse." What questions about your own understanding of the potential of assistive technologies has this video raised?

I agree with Tony, that assistive technologies in the classroom can be beneficial to all students learning. I believe that by having an open classroom to those students with disabilities the mainstream students have experience interacting with these students and the stereotypes and discrimination decrease. This video has made me wonder if sometimes the student with disability begins to rely on the assistive technology, when in actuality, they can complete it themselves.

5. In the bonus video entitled "Adapting the Curriculum: Mr. Byers' View", Tony describes the tension he feels between teaching spontaneously and then needing to slow down and adapt every lesson for all students. Can you think of any experiences you've had that have created a similar tension. Explain your ideas.

I have experienced this many times in my own learning. It has even happened in this class. When working in groups, I often notice the various learning levels. Some people understand and pick the task up right away, while others need a little more instruction or help. It can become annoying and frustrating; however, as a teacher you need to have patience and understand that all students learn differently and at various paces.

No comments:

Post a Comment