My day at my learn and serve started like all the others I've have. I arrived to the classroom a little after nine and the children were just beginning to pile in. Mr. Azzarella and his two teacher helpers were in the classroom and as we each welcomed the kids we also assisted them in putting away their things and getting their breakfast. The students ate and while they were finishing up their breakfast Mr. Azzarella gave them an assignment to work on. It was an alphabet assignment in which the students needed to color the letters of the alphabet and cut them out. Mr. Azzarella explained that this would be used at a later date for a project he had planned. I thought that Mr. Azzarella’s way of handing out the assignment was clever. He did not wait for the students to finish eating, but instead gave it to them to work on while they ate. I at first thought that this could be difficult because it would force the students to double task; however, the I found that the students actually worked better. Normally, the class has a lot of trouble with transitions, and it takes them a great deal of time to move from one assignment to the next, but not with this. Mr. Azzarella avoided having all the children moving around and talking and passed out the assignment individually as the students ate. This is something I will take away from him. I would eventually love to incorporate this into my classroom. After the students got through breakfast and finished their alphabet assignment, the class joined on the rug for morning meeting. After we finished with morning meeting the students moved on to their alphabet stations. The students did excellent! Unlike last week, everyone was very well behaved and focused. As the time for lunch came closer, the students each cleared their stations and stood in their spots in line to go to lunch. Today went extremely well. There were no problems with the students what so ever and I was able to take a new technique away with me.
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment